I have recently read Tom Spaulding's book "It's Not Just Who You Know" and it got me thinking about my relationships and what I do to maintain them. It hit me that I treated my relationships like air, necessary but not really manageable. I mean, either they were there or they weren't. My way of thinking was I'm not gonna force anyone to like me, so even if I don't talk to you for a month, when we meet again I will not win you over coz you already know me.
So after the book I was determined to dig up my dead relationships and re-establish my current ones. I finally decided to let go of old grudges and try to put my pride on the side. Believe me, the pride thing was not easy. Anyone who knows me knows I have a whole lot of pride. I texted my ex and tried to salvage our dead relationship. That is still in the works but at least I have decided to stop holding on to my personal hostility. I called up old friends, apologized for being unavailable and I feel really good about mysefl right about now.
Now, just when things were getting simpler, things got complicated. I have two male friends in my life. One is totally new, one is a very old friend. He's been around for as long as I have known what friendship is, we've been through tough times and good times. I've seen him cry and he's seen me cry. It's that deep. I love him. Yet...I don't love him? You get what I mean? My new friend is totally cool. He makes me laugh, I make him laugh. I really like him, yet I don't really like like him...Get what I mean?
Some people say there is no such thing as friendship between a girl and a boy, and at some point in my life I sort of agreed, yet after reading this book I'm starting to disagree. It doesn't have to be "friendship" in the traditional sense, yet it can still be a relationship. The type where you call another person to share a joke, have someone on top of the list of your movie companions, share playlists, discuss the finer points of Supernatural...that's not exactly a friendship. Noone is sharing deep secrets, noone is expecting the other to drop their lives for the other. Yet it's still a deep honest relationship.
What I have figured is I don't have to classify all my relationships, but I do have to collect as many as I can. Because you never know who is going to be there when you need someone to watch Harry Potter & The Deathly Hallows with, or when you need the installer for Picassa. Because life is short...might as well be happy with your current relationships than trying to analyze everything to the last detail.
Oh, speaking of which, I have House season 7 episodes. I am a very lucky girl. And Supernatural (yayy!!!). When I get the time I will curl up in bed and watch them all in a go. Oh yeah, and Fringe season 3, aaannnnnddd Taylor Swift's Speak Now & Rihanna's Loud (love 'em)...They're all from a friend. I sure picked the right time to manage my relationships...:)
No comments:
Post a Comment